Please note javascript is required for full website functionality.


31 May, 2021

Pinkies and Panthers miss out on sinking Swans

Christie and Hood Castlereagh League

By Supplied

Round five game. Photo supplied.

A typical wintery day at Robertson Oval greeted the Panthers and the Pinkies when they ventured to Dunedoo for round six of the Christie and Hood Castlereagh League on Saturday.

The Pinkies were first to brave the conditions when they came up against the high flying Swanettes and it was the locals who jumped to an 8-0 lead before the Pinkies responded with a try to Emily Fardell. The Pinkies only first half try seemed to spark the green and whites into action and Dunedoo raced to a 28-4 lead at halftime and that lead proved too big for the Pinkies to peg back against the reigning premiers. The Pinkies didn’t shirk their task however and they rallied to see Shian Chatfield cross for a four pointer before Dunedoo closed out the match, scoring a late try to make the final score 34-8 to the Swanettes.

Enter the First Grade match and it was the Panthers who looked as if they would be the first to trouble the scoreboard attendants when Jamie Towney split the Swans defence from deep inside the Panther quarter to go on a long run before the Swans defence could gather him in. A loose ball saw the Swans retaliate and their flying winger, Matt Woods raced away to score in the north-west corner to open the scoring. It took the Panthers 20-minutes to get on the board and it was a rampaging Hayden Smith who bumped his way through the Swanny defence and touch down next to the sticks. Brandon Hammond converted, and the Panthers led 6-4.

Five minutes later Dunedoo put a long kick into Panther territory only to see a costly fumble that allowed Swans’ lock forward, Brayden Searle to pounce on the loose ball and score in the corner to put the Swans back in the lead 8-6.

Camden Sutton sent the home side further ahead when he sliced through the Panther defence soon after and he sent Tyson Searle on his way to the line to touch down between the posts.

Dunedoo increased their lead in the dying minutes of the first half when the Panthers made another costly fumble to see Dan Lane pounce and he put another four points on the board before converting his own try to give the home side a commanding 20-4 lead just before the break. Just as the hooter sounded for oranges, the Panthers were awarded a penalty directly in front of the sticks and they elected to take the two points on offer. Hammond made no mistake, and the the Panthers went to the break down but not quite out, trailing 20-8.

The Swannies looked to have wrapped the game up 15-minutes into the second half when Tyson Searle crossed for anther converted try and they looked to be cruising at 26-8. Sixty-five minutes into the match, the Panthers received a crucial penalty when the Swans put a high shot on Jamie Towney and Ash Hazelton charged at the line carrying several defenders with him to score next to the posts. Hammond’s conversion made it 26-14 in favour of the Swans.

With seven minutes remaining on the clock, Dunedoo launched a bomb at the Gilgandra defence only to see Kyzah Louie defuse it and burst through the Swannies line and charge downfield. Louie drew the last line of defence before offloading to Hayden Smith who crossed for his second try of the afternoon. Hammond converted to give the brave Panther supporters something to cheer for on a wintery afternoon. 26-20.

The Panthers threw everything at the Swans defence in the final minutes, but the locals clung on to come out deserved winners on the day.

Most Popular