27 August, 2023
Red Cross News - August 8, 2023
By Hilda Newstead
The Gilgandra Red Cross Branch held their annual
general meeting at The Royal Hotel, on Friday, July 28,
followed by long service medal presentations.
President Hilda Newstead occupied the chair and welcomed members and guests.
The Red Cross pledge was recited, followed by the seven principals of Red Cross: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity, and Universality.
Apologies are received and accepted, and minutes of the last annual general meeting were read and accepted.
President’s Report - Hilda Newstead 2022
Our last AGM was held July 22, 2022 in the Cooee Lodge hall. The year commenced on a sad note with the passing of our very diligent member of Red Cross, Jean Eather. Members attended her funeral.
• Our first fundraising event in 2022 was a soup luncheon held at Cooee Lodge.
• Members attended Eumungerie Red Cross afternoon tea.
• A wonderful Christmas luncheon and meeting was held at the home of Marj Josephs.
• A very successful raffle was held during November/December and drawn on December 15 at the Gilgandra Shire’s Chrismas party.
Unfortunately due to COVID there was not an opportunity to hold a merchandise stall at Christmas time. Deirdre Duncan with the assistance of Shirley Marks once again organised and delivered Christmas gifts for the hospital patients and emergency items kits. 2023
• Members attended the Australia Day Prelude evening concert held at the Gilgandra Services Club.
• Our first 2023 meeting was held at the home of our treasurer, Shirley Marks.
• Congratulations to a wonderful member of Red Cross for over 60 years, Nan Nalder, on her Australia Day, OAM.
• Hilda Newstead received her 20 year Red Cross membership bar from secretary Deirdre Duncan.
• Gilgandra Red Cross pledged their support to an appeal for the victims of the recent Türkiye-Syria earth- quakes.
• Our branch pledged again financial support for the flood victims, Eugowra, Molong, and Forbes etc.
• Nan Nalder OAM received the Senior Citizen of the Year Award at the Seniors Week Luncheon which was held at the Gilgandra Shire Hall in March.
• Red Cross participated on ANZAC Day with the laying of the wreath.
• Each year on May 8, we celebrate a special morning tea as this date is marked as world Red Cross Red Cresent Day.
• The International Red Cross Day morning tea was held at Cooee Lodge hall and was well attended by members and visitors
• Red Cross Winter Appeal - a great response was received from the local community.
• During the year we continued our monthly meet- ings at the homes of the members, which was followed by a lovely afternoon tea. It's an enjoyable outing for everyone.
• Members continue to knit trauma teddies which are always well received at the hospital.
• We would like to express our thanks to everyone in our community for the tremendous support for our branch during the year.
To Deirdre Duncan secretary, with the printing of so many emails sent to us each month, Shirley Marks, trea- surer, what a huge challenge, thank you ladies for your hard work, dedication, and attention to detail are truly appreciated.
Thank you for all that you do to make our branch a success. To all our wonderful members thank you for your contribution, support, and volunteering during this last year. We have enjoyed an awesome year with many events held, fundraising and friendship.
The treasurer’s report was presented by Shirley Marks. Financially we have done very well.
Officers elected for 2023-2024
President: Hilda Newstead
Secretary: Deirdre Duncan
Treasurer: Shirley Marks
Merchandise: Anne Armstrong
Publicity: Robyn Harris
Trauma Teddies: Marj Josephs
Patrons: Deirdre Duncan and Nan Nalder
Presentation of long service medals
Beryl Barden - 10 year service to Red Cross
Marj Josephs - 30 year service to Red Cross
Roy Duncan - 10 year service to Red Cross
A 70 year service medal was presented to Rob
Beveridge on behalf of his wife Joyce Beveridge, resident at Cooee Lodge. At the conclusion of the presentations, members and guests enjoyed a wonderful luncheon.