Please note javascript is required for full website functionality.

Community & Business

17 May, 2022

Preserving Our Past - May 10

Pictured is a further item which was donated to the Gilgandra Historical Society in 1967 when the museum was opened in the current library building.

By Supplied

The teapot was donated by Elizabeth Marie Bonnington (nee Strang) who married David James Bonnington in 1902. They lived at Woodvale Park, Curban and the teapot was briefly described at that time as “teapot over 100-years-old”. A further description states, “teapot, brown earthenware, holds 24 cups”.

There are no identifying marks on the teapot, and it is still in remarkably good condition.

The late Daphne Bonnington was a strong advocate for Gilgandra Museum and Historical Society from 1967 until her death in 2009 and would have proba-

bly encouraged her mother, Elizabeth, to donate this special object for display at the museum.

The Bonnington family have been well-known in this district since John and Emma Bonnington acquired a block at Bearbung about 1856. They then moved to a small block on Eringanerin Run.

While at Eringanerin the Bonningt- on’s lost many of their sheep during the 1874 flood. In July of 1876 the family selected a property called Woodvale Park at Curban and moved about six months later. John and successive generations of his family were known for the quality of sheep and cattle bred by them.

Many memories and stories would have been shared by the family, down the years, over a cup of tea. 


Most Popular