22 November, 2021
Council in review
While COVID-19 challenges saw closures of many service areas in the Gilgandra Shire Council over the past few years, and many changes to the region, there has also been many positives.
The council has put together a ‘council highlights in review’, reflecting on the positives from the past five years, and how far our town has come.
Since 2016, 44 heritage buildings are having restoration completed.
Since 2016, $208,212 has been spent on projects, with council’s contributions of $71,969.
Since 2019, $1.96 million has been injected into Gilgandra economy through 26,500 Shop Local entries.
Twenty BIG IDEAS (Business Improvement Grant) applications received by local businesses. $101,887 was allocated to projects by council, and $170,572 was additional business contribution.
Fifty-three regional artists, makers, and businesses, offering a centralised shopping experience in the GIL Collective.
- $41.022 million total capital works projects were completed since 2016.
- $12.8 million was put towards roads maintenance.
- $3.3 million was put towards gravel resheeting, road resealing, and renewals.
- Six new bridges have been built/ Four timber bridges at $5 million, and two major culverts for $912,720.
- $293,734 of total contributions and donations to community events and activities for the five years.
- 1500 people attended Winder Wonderland event in 2019 and 2020.
- 1000 people attended Under the Gums event in 2020 and 2021.
- Eight rooms have been renovated and both kitchens upgraded at Cooee Hostel.
- 6452 is the average number of meals delivered through Meals on Wheels each year.
- 76,342 visitors to the library, despite COVID-19 closures.
- 25,000 breakfasts were serves to students at the Breakfast Club, and average of 25 per day.
- $29,652,139 total DA applications were approved over five years.
- 71 per cent of impounded dogs were released or rescued. 678 dos were impounded. 35 dog attacks were reported.
- 1251 tonnes of recycling materials sorted by 22 Carlginda Enterprises’ employees.
- $22,512,277 is the value of successful grant applications.
o 2016/2017 = $1,404,448
o 2017/2018 = $3,308,865
o 2018/2019 = $8,551,779
o 2019/2020 = $3,666,417
o 2020/2021 = $5,580,768
- 2900 metres of stormwater drains were cleaned since 2019.
- $26,357 million was the accumulated surplus financial result over the five year term of council.
- Five new purpose-built disability accommodating units were built, accommodating for up to 13 clients. $3,000,000 funded by Orana Living.